Monday, August 22, 2011

Entry #1: Where I Am On The Outdoors.


I don't have a professional understanding of the outdoors. Maybe I do but do not realize it yet. When I was a little boy, I practically grew up with my Grandparents. My Grandfather was one of the first nurseryman-landscaper in Naples, FL. He did not do it for the money. He did not do it because he had to. He started when he was a child and in retirement it grew into a passion. He loved his work.
               The staying up all night with plants in the green houses and a heater on were difficult. To see the vibrant colors and natural beauty of the plant life was very rewarding to his inner core. He is very much missed. He is very much remembered. He is very much alive in me! I have, thankfully, been afflicted with his enduring passion for the outdoors. Canoeing, camping, planting, hiking, observing, and a never ending thirst for knowledge are a few of the things I learned from my Grandfather when he was alive.
               I ran Cross Country and long distance Track. While running, I calmly observed my surroundings and in slow motion, outside of myself, reflected on what I saw in my many miles of paths. Running, even though fast paced, was a sort of escape from my wild and complicated life. It was a place in my mind that I was truly relaxed.
               Now I am on a path that will hopefully give me the mental tools to be able to improve the environment and peoples understanding of the changes needed. With this I leave you this thought: A greater understanding is achieved by learning about it on your own from the sources not by hearing about other people's opinions.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the comments section. Write anything that's on your mind.

    ReplyDelete