Sunday, November 20, 2011

Entry 17b- Journey Through Downtown Fort Myers



         I took my wife and grandmother on the fieldtrip with me to downtown Fort Myers.  We all looked forward to the scavenger hunt.  It was a nice Saturday early afternoon when we got there.  The weather was perfect- sunny and not too hot or too cold.  The area was a lot smaller than I expected. 
         It was also clean and people were friendly.  The buildings were old, but looked strong enough to last through many more of Florida's hurricanes.  I did not realize there were so many businesses in this small area, such as the night clubs, Hotel Indigo, the nice Arcade Theater, and many little shops.  I was surprised by the large number of attorney offices- too many to count.  There was also a Starbucks, like everywhere else.  The sidewalks were filled with entrepreneurs, each with a table set up to sell you something.  The scavenger hunt made me find many things there that I would have normally missed.  It was interesting to find out the first concrete sidewalk constructed there was in 1906, and Fort Myers acted as base to round up wild cattle during a war.   
        My grandmother and wife had to sit down a few times during the day, so it was nice there were benches on the sidewalks.  We found 25 things on the scavenger hunt.  I wanted to find more, but I was out voted by my wife and grandmother.  My grandmother's hip hurt and my wife's feet hurt.  They are not used to walking so much, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience anyway.  I am happy to have seen the sights of downtown Fort Myers.
~Max 


No comments:

Post a Comment